Monday, March 16, 2009: I had given up hope that the baby would be born this day (exactly 6 months after my nephew Zeke was born), but after we ate supper, my water broke! We finished packing a few things, and headed to the hospital.

right before we went to the hospital
I still wasn't having any contractions, so we got all settled into a Labor and Delivery room. The baby's heart rate looked good. We called our parents to tell them we were in the hospital. The nurse examined me and got a worried look on her face, which worried us. She told us that the baby was breech. My doctor, Dr. Delaney, was called in (I had been wanting to have the baby when she was on call), and she performed an ultrasound, which showed that the baby was actually transverse (lying sideways). We called our parents again to tell them I'd be having a C-section. They all headed to the hospital. Brendon accompanied me to the C-section, which wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I cried when I heard Maggie Hope crying at 10:04 p.m. Brendon took her down the hallway to meet her grandparents and keep her company in the nursery as the nurse gave her a bath. When I was in the recovery room, the nurse brought Maggie to me. After I returned to my room, Brendon and I revealed Maggie's name to the grandparents. We all kissed and cuddled her. Maggie spent her first night with us in the hospital room. We didn't get a lot of sleep!


Tuesday, March 17, 2009: I felt pretty rough the day after Maggie was born. I was confined to bed, hadn't gotten a lot of sleep, and my body was going through a lot of changes. I napped most of the afternoon, and then felt better. Things went downhill later that night when the nurse tried to get me out of bed. All I could do was sit on the edge of the bed. When I tried to stand up, my blood pressure dropped. My hemoglobin was very low, and a CT scan revealed an abdominal hemotoma (internal bleeding). I received a blood transfusion that night and awaited the doctor's decision.

Maggie wears a touch of green on St. Patrick's Day.
Wednesday, March 18, 2009: Dr. Delaney decided to operate on me again to find the source of the bleeding. Brendon, Brendon's mom, and my parents took care of Maggie while I was in surgery. The surgery was successful, and my hemoglobin began to rise.
Thursday, March 19 through Saturday, March 21, 2009: I spent the next few days recovering. I took "baby steps" to get out of bed and start walking around the room and down the hallway.


Sunday, March 22, 2009: We finally get to leave the hospital! It was a beautiful day for a homecoming.

We are so thankful to our wonderful family and friends, who helped us get through this exciting, but challenging, week! We appreciate your visits, phone calls, emails, food, flowers, and prayers. We are blessed to have such a loving, supportive community.
Thursday, March 19 through Saturday, March 21, 2009: I spent the next few days recovering. I took "baby steps" to get out of bed and start walking around the room and down the hallway.


Sunday, March 22, 2009: We finally get to leave the hospital! It was a beautiful day for a homecoming.

Maggie is snug in her carseat, bundled up with the afghans made by her grandmothers.

Monday, March 23, 2009: Maggie is one week old today! She took her first sponge bath at home.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009: Maggie went to her check-up at the pediatrician's today. She is still below her birth weight, but has gained back up to 7 pounds, 9 ounces.



Monday, March 23, 2009: Maggie is one week old today! She took her first sponge bath at home.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009: Maggie went to her check-up at the pediatrician's today. She is still below her birth weight, but has gained back up to 7 pounds, 9 ounces.


We are so thankful to our wonderful family and friends, who helped us get through this exciting, but challenging, week! We appreciate your visits, phone calls, emails, food, flowers, and prayers. We are blessed to have such a loving, supportive community.


No comments:
Post a Comment