Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, June 18, 2012

Mountain Maggie

Every summer we love to travel, but this year Brendon is saving his vacation time for paternity leave.  Maggie has been wanting to see two things: a cave and a lighthouse.  Brendon and I like the mountains better than the beach, so we decided to take a long weekend trip (before I got too uncomfortable to travel) that would incorporate several of Maggie's interests.  I've been wanting to just relax by or in a pool, so I was excited to find a condo (or a "ra-partment", as Maggie called it) to rent in the mountains that had gorgeous indoor and outdoor pools!

Click here to see pictures from our trip.

We left Friday morning and had a picnic atop Howard's Knob Mountain in Boone.  Then we tried something we'd never done before- gem mining!  Maggie loves ALL rocks . . . in fact, it's difficult to go on a walk in the neighborhood because she wants to stop and pick up every rock.  I thought she might like gem mining, but I was surprised that both Brendon and I really enjoyed it, too!  I'm sure it's rigged, but we found some really cool gems- garnets, rubies, emeralds, onyx, etc.  Here's a video of the little miner:


Friday afternoon we checked into our condo and went swimming at the gorgeous outdoor pool, complete with mountain views and a waterfall!  Maggie liked having her own room at the condo, and I was surprised that she slept soundly there all night.

On Saturday we went to Grandfather Mountain.  I'm a native North Carolinian, and I'd never been to the top of it.  Along the way to the top, we visited the nature museum, fudge shop, and animal preserve.  The highlight, of course, is the Mile High Swinging Bridge at the top.  Maggie is scared of a lot of things and is hesitant about trying new activities; however, she had no problem crossing the bridge and then hiking a rocky trail with Brendon!



Later that afternoon Maggie wanted to try out the indoor pool at our complex.  I thought there was no way it could compare to the outdoor one, but I was wrong.  It was a huge pool, and almost half of it was only 1/2 foot deep.  This gave Maggie plenty of room where she could play without us having to hold her.  She even was brave enough to jump in the shallow end and sit in the hot tub (only waist-deep) for a few minutes!



On Sunday we went back to the indoor pool, where we had it all to ourselves for almost 2 hours.  I REALLY could get used to this lifestyle!  Then we visited Linville Caverns.  We'd been preparing Maggie for what the inside would be like.  Once again, we were happily surprised and proud of her for not being scared on the tour inside (small spaces, puddles, dripping water, dimly lit).  At one point, the guide even turned out all the lights so we could experience total darkness.  When he turned the lights back on, Maggie was grinning!  Maggie may have a future in geology.

None of us wanted to come home, especially Maggie.  On Friday we told her we'd stay 3 days and 2 nights.  By Saturday, she was trying to negotiate with us to stay 4 days . . . then 5 days.  By today, she asked if we could stay 28 more hours!  We definitely want to go back again, next time with "Baby Brother", pictured with me below:


No comments: